Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sam Gyup Sal - Pan Fried Pork Belly


Sam Gyup Sal aka pork belly is one of the most popular types of Korean barbecue. It's cheap (at least in Korea) and delicious and therefore is eaten mostly by younger generation. Ironically, when I observed the price for the pork belly at the meat section of a big Korean supermarket in the United States, I no longer believe this could be eaten as commonly even without deep pockets. There is really no "cooking" involved in making this dish other than heating up some pork belly pieces and slicing garlics. You probably need "Ssam jang", which is spicy miso paste.

1. Prepare the pork belly and slice garlic cloves.


2. In high heat, cook the meat and garlic slices.

3. Flip them over to the other side and thoroughly cook.

I used some sliced green onions for the garnish.

4. When wrapping, my favorite is sesame leaves. I just put a slice of garlic, pork belly and little bit of spicy miso paste.

Mmm... mouth watering!

Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to see new entries on your blog. I thought you had abandoned it.:P This looks really good. can I use other types of leaves/veg as there are no sesame leaves available here?

Pete said...

Hi naranja, long time! Sorry it was more like, "long time, Pete!" I just went through a lot of busy stuff for a while in life but I'm back to update more stuff and take care of the business here. Well, to answer your question, try using lettuce leaves. That's actually the standard. :)

Unknown said...

Yummy! Thank you for a great recipe. My husband and I enjoy Samgyupsal very much. Please check out our funny Samgyupsal video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhdDPpXwms0

Linder said...

Where do you get spicy miso paste? Or do you make your own?

Post a Comment