Pages

Friday, June 13, 2008

Bibimbap


Bibimbap is the most famous Korean dish. In literal translation, it means mixed rice. You're basically mixing the rice with variety of vegetables (stir fried but sometimes with fresh vegetables) with sauce and sesame oil. It is quite healthy and delicious and I believe that's the reason why it became so popular in America especially among health conscious and trendy eaters. Few weeks ago, chef Mario from Iron Chef Show cooked Bibimbap in a stone bowl and amazed many people.

1. First, you need a carrot, zucchini, Shitake mushrooms, bean sprouts, beef, and spinach.

Sesame oil will be used for cooking these vegetables.

2. For carrots, you can either use them fresh or cooked. I heard it's better to eat them fresh because cooking destroys their vitamins. However, I decided to cook them for the taste. Personally I do not really like the taste of raw carrots but it's just me.


3. Then cook zucchinis. Use sesame oil also and just cook them for 1-2 minute until they're cooked.


4. For spinach, you want to boil them for 30 minutes to soften them up and pan fry them for another 30 seconds. You can skip the pan frying part if you want to.



5. You want to boil the bean sprouts for 30 seconds as well. Even though you could've skipped pan frying part for spinach, I recommend that you pan fry the bean sprouts with sesame oil for at least 30 seconds.


6. Ideally, you want to use Shitake mushrooms below. But because of the cost, you can substitute with other mushrooms. That's probably what I should do next time too since I spent a fortune on these mushrooms at a market. Slice them and cook with sesame oil.



7. For beef, you can use rib eye, loins, ribs, ground beef or steaks. Just make sure you slice them very thinly while it's still semi frozen. When fully defrosted, it will be hard to slice them thinly as it loses any strength of the tissues.

Use sesame oil to cook.
Then add 2 table spoons of soy sauce.
It will become similar to Bulgogi like the picture below although Bulgogi recipe is more complicated than just sesame oil and soy sauce.

8. Finally, you need to fry an egg. You can also use just the yolk for Bibimbap but I do like eating the white part as well. I cooked sunny side up in medium heat because later the yolk will be an important part of the mixing.

9. Now serving. Put rice into a bowl.

Place the fried egg over the rice.
Then pick out those vegetables that you stir fried earlier and throw them over the rice as well.

Yeah I organized them nicely for photography purpose. You can do that too if you have a guest to impress.

Now you need to make a spicy dressing which you will use to mix the rice and the vegetables. It's spicy and sour dressing called "Yangyum Jang" in Korean.

Use the red pepper paste, tea spoon of minced garlic, 2 table spoons of apple juice, tea spoon of sesame oil, Chinese hot mustard, and sesame seeds.


Put the dressing on Bibimbap and sprinkle sesame seeds over as a garnish. Enjoy!


Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good evening! This looks really good! I have some questions about the ingredients for the sauce. What is Chinese hot mustard and what type of apple juice do you use?

Pete said...

Hi naranja~
The Chinese hot mustard I was talking about is similar to regular mustard but is much hotter and has no sour flavor. It is also used in Korean cuisine sometimes and is called "gyuh ja".

Refer to the picture of what I wrote "mustard" under paste section of my ingredient list. http://www.homecookingdiary.com/2008/04/condiments.html#sauce

Also here is a link to how to make Chinese mustard from powders. I think this powder stuff is more commonly found in Western markets. http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/archive/2007_02_01_archive.html (middle of the page)

Here is also more information on Chinese hot mustard. http://chinesefood.about.com/library/blchineseing8.htm

Also, to answer your question about the apple juice, I would say any natural apple juice that is 100% would be sufficient.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!!!:D

Anonymous said...

Hi, I shop quite often at a local Korean Supermarket and I always see a package of ingredients like the ones you've prepared being sold. Only the ones I see looks like they've been marinated. The cucumbers, spinach and bean sprouts all look wilted. So I assumed they didn't cook the cucumber, but rather marinated them. Is that the case?

Pete said...

Hi, usually the ones sold at Korean super markets include some of the typical ingredients that are fresh/marinated, or cooked/marinated. My version above is a quite simple version without root vegetables which are harder to find for general public. In a typical Bibimbap ingredient pack, usually there are cooked bean sprouts, cooked zucchini (sometimes marinated), cooked/marinated spinach, fresh/marinated white radish and etcs. Cucumber sounds pretty unorthodox as a bibimbap ingredient and I assume maybe they were zucchinis instead. Korean markets sell cucumber Kimchi packs called Oyi Sobeki. However, if I am wrong that the bibimbap ingredient pack did have cucumber in it, it must have been fresh. Cucumber is never cooked in Korean cuisine in my knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Hi!! I see what you mean. I'm not too sure whether or not they are zucchini or cucumbers now that you've mentioned it. The pack had 8 different ingredients. 4 of which were the same as yours. The "cucumbers" were small disk shapes and are wilted, so I couldn't really see what they are. I'll check next time.

Speaking of Kimchi, I see raw oysters being used. This may sound stupid, but can I eat them? Is it safe? Just because it's raw and been marinated for several days before consumption. (I'm asking this because I bought a pack of Kimchi from the store today)"home-made style".

Thanks for answering my questions =)

Pete said...

Hi, you just asked a very good and controversial question. When you ask many people (especially older folks), they will say it's ok because the oysters are fermented (whatever that means). But here is what I think is the truth. Oysters in Kimchi, assuming that you keep the whole thing in refrigerator, can last a longer time or not depending on the sodium content of your Kimchi. Evidently, if the sodium content is great, oysters ca n last for a longer time (upto about three weeks to a month) since there is a salted spicy oyster side dish called "Gool Jut" which can last that long in your refrigerator. Maybe they can even last longer but still I would avoid eating those pickled seafood beyond 2-3 weeks of refrigeration mainly because the seafood loses its freshness and the texture. Speaking of safety, oysters in your Kimchi maybe safe or maybe not if they were to last for more than three weeks depending on how salty your Kimchi is. And usually those oysters being put in Kimchi are not pre-pickled or salted ones but rather fresh ones. If I were you, I would only buy a "small" bottle of oyster Kimchi and plan to finish eating it in two weeks.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I only bought a pound of the Kimchi. I think it's freshly made, since it was made by the staff in the supermarket and not prepackaged from a big factory. I finished the Kimchi today, so I think it's okay. There were only two small oysters in my Kimchi, and I got the courage to pop them in my mouth. Hope I wouldn't get food poisoning later today.
The Kimchi I bought was rather salty, so I think you're right. I also saw in some videos that people wash the oysters with salt and then marinate them in lemon juice before puting them in.
Just incase though, I think I'll avoid eating them next time. Thank you for your suggestions =)

erika said...

Oh it looks heavenly... the great bibimbap in the sky. The photos make it all the more appetizing,

One question: would foregoing the egg throw the taste off too much?

Pete said...

Hi. Although I like an egg in my bibimbap, you can still skip the egg and go with the spicy dressing with sesame oil and still have a great flavor.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, found your blog whilst searching for naeng-myun.

I've always used gochujang straight from the tub when making bibimbap. Your recipe looks interesting and will try it when I make bibimbap next.

Nice blog and hope to new postings soon :)

Pete said...

Hi Chien, there are many ways to prepare the spicy dressing for bibimbap and many people do in fact just use gochujang. Aside from flavors, my version is more watery so it's easier to mix.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just made bibimbap sauce ala peter style. Though I didn't have any mustard, it was still yummilicious and this is definitely easier to mix. Thanks again for the great recipe!

Pete said...

Hi Chien, thank you for trying it. Glad you liked it. :)

Anonymous said...

hello Peter,

i like Korean foods so much esp the sam gae tang. i will be going back to the Philippines this coming December and I want to prepare Korean dishes for my family. My problem is that most of them are not really into spicy food. Do you have any suggestion about replacing the hot pepper paste into something that is not so spicy? I want to prepare bibimbap for them but i am worried because of the spicy ingredients. can you suggest anything?

Pete said...

Hi, I understand how some people avoid spicy food. Here is what you might want to try. Add 2 tsp - 1tbsp soy sauce (depends on what soy sauce), 1bsp sesame oil, 1 tsp vinegar, little bit of minced garlic and some sugar. That should create a sweet soy dressing that's good with bibimbap. :)

Anonymous said...

thanks,peter!i might try it with my bibimbap first.:)i like the soy sauce of korea because what i tasted was kind of sweet.thanks for the info!

gracie

Anonymous said...

Hello,
The instructions say to boil the bean sprouts for 30 seconds and then fry them for 30 seconds. I just wanted to make sure that the boiling time is accurate.
Thanks!

Janet @Gourmet Traveller 88 said...

Hi Peter, how are you? I just made the bibimbap with a little twist of the sauce as the apple sauce at home was off. Anyway, I love it, very yummy.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks so much for these great korean recipes! I just wanted to check that you boil the spinach for 30 minutes? That seems rather long to me.

Eric said...

Do you know where I can find a recipe for Gool Jut?

Post a Comment