Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Spicy Beef Rice Cake Dish (Ddeokbokki)




Spicy rice cake dish called ddeokbokki has been the love of my life since I was a little boy old enough to handle spicy food. Thinking about it, I got used to eating spicy food at age 5.  Instead of blaming, I thank my mother for it so now I can enjoy a whole variety of foods including this one.
So this concept of rice cake is pretty weird and foreign to people outside of Korea and Japan.  It’s not really a cake.  Sure, some rice cakes are actually sweet after injecting sugar or flavors into it.  It’s made of rice.  Uncooked rice grains become finely ground and mixed with water.  Then it’s steamed in high heat when it comes molded into certain shapes.  Normally rice cake is a dessert menu but there are several non-entree rice cake dishes including ddeokbokki.
Ddeokbokki is a big street food in Korea.  There are street foods in traditional market places and on the side of streets.  You will always find ddeokbokki vendors.  A lot of them exist near schools because the cart owners know little kids love this.

Ingredients: rice cakes (below picture), half onion, fish cake, beef, green onion, sticky noodles (optional), Korean red pepper paste (2 spoons), thinly ground red pepper flakes, ketchup (2 spoons), minced garlic (1 spoon), corn syrup (2 spoons), salt, sugar, soy sauce (1 spoon), and black pepper
1. The type of rice cake you will need will look like either the flat ones on top or long around ones like in the bottom picture. You will find them from a Korean supermarket.



2. Put the rice cake in cold water if they are dried or frozen as that’s how usually they are sold.  Leave them in water for 20-30 minutes will be quite enough.  Sometimes, you can luck out by finding fresh ones daily delivered from a rice cake factory near cash registers and when you do, you don’t need to put them in water.


3. Then you will need some fishcakes. (Any Asian store should have them.)


4. Noodle is totally optional and you can use different kinds of noodle such as ramen or jolmyun.  I used jolmyun (chewy and thick) as it is a popular choice of noodle addition for this dish.


5. Chop half an onion.

6. Cut some beef. (any type is fine - ribeye, sirloin, tri-tip)
7. So in the beginning, you will need minced garlic, ketchup and Korean red pepper paste.



8. Add the meat and cook the mixture in medium to high heat for a minute and add 1/4 cup of water since it could burn.

9. Add a spoon of soy sauce and sprinkle black pepper into the mixture while heating the mixture.

And some salt
And corn syrup.
Add red pepper power
10. Your sauce will look something like this. Very red!


11. Now you need to add about 2-3 cups of water into the sauce.


12. When the water heats up, add the onion and fishcake.


13. When the mixture starts to boil, add the rice cake and noodle.


14. Make sure you soak them into the mixture and cook in high heat for 3-4 minutes and in medium heat for additional 3-4 minutes. Keep stirring because the rice cake can get stuck to the pan.

15. So this is what it should look like in the end.

For your personal taste, you can add sesame seeds and chopped green onions. Enjoy!



Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

ketchup? really?... can you tell me what ketchup adds before i try this? thanks man.

Anonymous said...

great reciepe.
turned out to be amazingly accurate.
im not korean and usually used to eat it in kim bap nara.
and i used to feel despondent i wud never be able to make it.
but i tried this and it turned out just perfect like in kimbap nara.

i made it with few modifications. since im a veggie i ommitted odang and beef. i added spinach,cabbage and boiled egg.

thanks for the gr8 reciep. can u please post more?

Pete said...

Hey dangchung, regarding ketchup, I think you can use any kind. You don't have to use ketchup. In fact, many people don't while some people do since it adds more flavor. One you heat it, you won't taste the sourness since the vinegary flavor evaporates so in the end you will taste the mix between tomato paste and the hot pepper paste which is quite good at least from my perspective.

And thanks Tiwari, I'm glad you liked this recipe. It's always my pleasure. Yes, I will continue to post more good recipes. I'll try to do some massive cooking this summer.

Anonymous said...

thanks peter... i'll try it out. Great site. nice photos!

Anonymous said...

Finally... I love ddeok bok ki, but every recipe I've tried until now has felt like it's missing something (even ones from other dedicated Korean cooking blogs).

Adding beef (or some kind of other meat) seems to add that extra punch that gives it a fuller flavour as well...

The ketchup works quite nicely - it offsets the sharp spiciness of the gochujang. To think that the ingredient I was looking for was right in my cabinet all along...

Pete said...

Moguo, I'm glad you liked it. My aunt made ddeokbokki for me when I was little adding beef and ketchup and ever since I liked using those two ingredients in it. Using beef almost makes it like some kind of a gourmet stir fry dish. Usually at restaurants, you won't find meat in this dish though unless it's one of those royal Korean cuisines called Goong Joong Ddeokbokki. But that one is soy sauce based. Anyhow, bon appetite!

Anonymous said...

I'm a little iffy about the corn syrup. I think we could do without it. :)

thanks so much

Anonymous said...

Hiya Pete! I tried this recipe today, albeit with some modifications. Cos I didnt have some of the ingredients on hand. Omitted the fishcakes, added some polish sausage and chestnut mushrooms, no noodles and used pork belly instead of beef. Added some bird's eye chilli for extra spice. Haha!Hope I didn't totally destroy the recipe with my modifications. Lastly, Happy New Year!

Pete said...

Wow I'm so late on my replies! Yes go without corn syrup! Now that I am about to turn 30, I care more about my health than when I wrote this recipe.

Annie said...

Hi, I was wondering if when making the dish, it was possible to leave it as a stew instead of stir-fry-ish? Would it affect the taste or anything at all?

Angie said...

Thanks you for showing the dehydrated rice cakes! I have been trying to find some instructions on how to use these and you are the first person I have found who said what to do to get them started!

cocaine detox kits said...

i want to ask, i cant find when i go for shopping, i cant find green onion.. They only have spring onion.. What is the different between spring and green onion..?

Unknown said...

Ketchup adds sugar to this dish. Normally you would add about a tablespoon of sugar to this dish for sweetness and balance.

Great recipe. I would like to try it using sausage instead of beef. Sounds delish.

Post a Comment